Shay's Big Pot of Chili
- 2 pounds apple-wood-smoked bacon, diced into 1 inch squares
- 4 pounds spicy Italian pork sausage, removed from casings
- 6 pounds ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cans (28 oz each) chili beans
- 6 lb 10 oz crushed tomatoes
- 6 lb 10 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 ounces unsweetened baker’s chocolate
1 parmesan rind
- In a large pan, cook bacon until crispy; drain and add to a 3-gallon pot.
- Drain off the bacon grease. Brown the sausage in the same pan; drain and add to the pot.
- Drain off the fat from the pan again. Brown the ground beef; drain and add to the pot with the other meats.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a bubble, stirring periodically. Then, lower heat and simmer on low for at least 6 hours.
- Serve with chili toppings if you’d like (shredded cheese, sour cream, green onion or chives), Frito scoops, quesadillas, or bread bowl.